The stone church can be found in the Romanian village of Densuș which is about 14 km away from the small city of Hațeg. Once you entered the village of Densuș, you will have to drive towards the cemetery where you will find the stone church.
As you will drive towards the old stone church from Hațeg, the scenery is really beautiful. On the left side of the road, you will have the chance to admire the mighty Retezat Mountains belonging to the Western Romanian Carpathians.
About the stone church
The Densuș church is the oldest stone church in Romania. It was built in the 13th century on a much older Roman temple. Until the end of the 19th century this was a Calvinist church. Today is actually an Orthodox church. Nowadays this is a popular attraction for the tourists who are visiting the region of Hațeg. What is really interesting is that religious services are held inside the church the small church.
In the church yard you will find an old stone tablet with ancient Roman inscriptions. Its not known whether this large tablet was brought from Sarmizegetuza Ulpia or it remained there from the previous Roman church.
Top 5 places to visit in the area:
- The Mălăiești citadel – as you drive from Hațeg towards Petroșani, in the village of Ohaba de sub Piatra you will have to make a right turn and drive almost 8 km until you will reach the small citadel.
- The Bison reserve – the bison reserve is actually very close to the city of Hațeg. Here you will find the only bisons in Romania.
- Lake Cinciș – this is another popular place to visit which is not very far from the village of Densuș.
- The Corvin Castle – this is another important objective that you can visit.
- The Deva fortress– not far from the Corvin castle, in the city of Deva you will find an old medieval fortress.